This evening I did two sight modifications and one step to complete my sight installation on my Kimber.
First I blackened the rear sight dots on my XDm because the two white dots are distracting me from focusing on the front sight. So I took my Citadel Chaos Black acrylic paint and filled in the dots. Easy peasy.
Next, to complete my Kimber sight installation, I had to use Red Thread Locker and secure both the front and rear sights :
Applied it liberally on the base of the front and rear sight, wait a few minutes for it to seep in and wipe it off with cue tips :
Next, because there were reports of the TruGlo Tritium tubes coming off during heavy use, the recommendation was the secure it with some epoxy. I didn’t use epoxy but used a medium called Stik’n Seal Ultra from Loctite. which dries totally clear.
Also, Stik’n Seal Ultra is Extreme-condition medium that is impact resistant and heat resistant. Normal epoxy is rated at -10°F to 95°F while Stik’n Seal is rated at -58°F to 248°F. I figured since the sight is that close to the front end of the barrel it would heat up pretty quickly.
Application is easy but getting a smooth top is a little hard. here’s the front sight before and after :
You can see the how the Stik’N Seal look when it fills up the gap. next is the before and after for the rear sights :
and here’s how it looks filled with clear medium. Looks great!
So all done, leave it for 24hours and see how it looks like tomorrow.