Looks like it’s time for stuff to start breaking down. I’ve been shooting over two years with the same gear, maybe only around 7,000-8,000 rounds total without any issues until recently. You’ve seen my problems with the cracked grip (due to loading 29rounds in my magazine) and a cracked c-more scope mount (material taken off from the mount). Most recently during the Paul Bunyan match where Arrun and I switched guns, the c-more dot kept turning off during the match. I discovered that the pin for the dot module had broken off.
As you can see from the image, the pin remained in the c-more base. We didn’t have any tools to remove it at the range so we tried to maintain the electrical connection by using a small piece of metal from a paper clip, that didn’t work.
Dennis, who’s a resourceful tinkerer and home gunsmith suggested we use a more robust and reliable fix using aluminum foil as it’s more “flexible” so during recoil, the aluminum foil can still flex and maintain connectivity, unlike a hard paper clip.
We also added some foil to the hood of the c-more dot cover to hold the module down to maintain the connection to the foil.
This solution worked out well and Arrun was able to finish the final two stages without any problems from the dot.
Looks like I have to find a new replacement dot module, or better yet, find a replacement c-more sight. I’m holding out for a chance at one of the cool new prototype sights that a local shooter has developed but am still unsure how long it would take to get it. For now, I’ve replaced the dot module with a new 8-MOA dot. Hope this will last me for a few more matches.