What can I say. Bombed two stages and pretty much took me out of the race. I had 5 other great stages with three stage wins but the two setbacks cost me 100+ points.
I don’t usually load up my magazines to 29+1 because I don’t want to stress my plastic grip and cause another crack but it was definitely useful for me in the 30 round Stage 2.
Great stages! High round count (211rnds) and very tight and varied positions. It was a good match but I got my head working against me again. Need to find a way to shutdown the noise and play. This is one of the Northwest Series matches where we all earn points and get a chance to earn slots to the Nationals (plus some cash). Can’t wait for next one in Renton.
A friend and GM told me just before the match started to shoot all Alphas. It’s fun to hose but it’s more fun to win. I think he’s right! I didn’t get all Alphas but did get 93% of all scores. Also, our usual top shooters weren’t around so I took the match. *lol*
Had a great time shooting with our squad. I can admit that shooting with Nick (GM) definitely affects me mentally. Some stages I push myself too far trying to catch up to him but fail and bomb the stage, but when I take his performance as an inspiration and shoot to my abilities, I do well.
Shooting in the Open division is definitely a mental game and you’d be mental to want to shoot it too ;)
Looks like it’s time for stuff to start breaking down. I’ve been shooting over two years with the same gear, maybe only around 7,000-8,000 rounds total without any issues until recently. You’ve seen my problems with the cracked grip (due to loading 29rounds in my magazine) and a cracked c-more scope mount (material taken off from the mount). Most recently during the Paul Bunyan match where Arrun and I switched guns, the c-more dot kept turning off during the match. I discovered that the pin for the dot module had broken off.
As you can see from the image, the pin remained in the c-more base. We didn’t have any tools to remove it at the range so we tried to maintain the electrical connection by using a small piece of metal from a paper clip, that didn’t work.
Dennis, who’s a resourceful tinkerer and home gunsmith suggested we use a more robust and reliable fix using aluminum foil as it’s more “flexible” so during recoil, the aluminum foil can still flex and maintain connectivity, unlike a hard paper clip.
We also added some foil to the hood of the c-more dot cover to hold the module down to maintain the connection to the foil.
This solution worked out well and Arrun was able to finish the final two stages without any problems from the dot.
Looks like I have to find a new replacement dot module, or better yet, find a replacement c-more sight. I’m holding out for a chance at one of the cool new prototype sights that a local shooter has developed but am still unsure how long it would take to get it. For now, I’ve replaced the dot module with a new 8-MOA dot. Hope this will last me for a few more matches.
Arrun and I decided to switch divisions for one match. He’ll shoot my Open gun and I’ll shoot his Glock 17 in Production Minor. Everything went well except for when my c-more red-dot module broke one of it’s “pins”. Wasn’t sure why it broke but it worked intermittently and Arrun had a hard time shooting it. We finally figured it out later in the match by using a small ball of aluminum foil to maintain the contact points.
Apart from that, I had a blast shooting production, that front sight is easy to find but aligning the rear sight is a chore. I’ll stick with Open for a while more.
Just discovered another crack, this time on the C-More Serendipity red-dot that I have on the gun.
you can see the previous owner cut down the mount a little to ease with extraction but after John worked on the gun, that cut was unnecessary. Guess I’ll have to get a new red-dot. :(